Feb 23, 2009

New Friends...

Friends are the people we all need, wherever we are. They are the people we can be ourselves with. As someone said, "I can let my hair down with my friend". How true and comforting!

Getting married, coming to a foreign land, getting engrossed in a tough international master study has made me a different person. When I was in India, studying, living with parents (free from all responsibilities), having loads of friends, having a best friend was all a bliss. As I am growing older (in spite of the fact that I am just entering thr thirty line), I am getting closed. I am unable to get a 'click' with the people I meet, and hence unable to have a 'friend' in real meaning and not just to call a person a friend. I often question myself, why this is happening? Am I getting more choosy, is it because I have limited choice to select somebody and be friend with or something else which I am unable to figure out?

It is the irony of life when you need something the most it is perhaps at the farthest distance from you. Is it really true or I am just giving up....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shaifali,
    Very well written...I totally concur with you that we start alienating people and becoming more choosy...I think, as we grow old, our priorities in life change, previously we had no other responsibilities and friends would be our 1st priority, now specially in a foreign land, we are burdened with work at office, cleaning up our house, cooking, laundry etc. From this lifestyle, we hardly find time to do the things we truly desire and everyone else coming to the foreign land is in the same boat, so it becomes difficult to actually connect with people. Also India was all about attachment, socializing and family, whereas US and Europe is more about detachment, individual self, individual family etc., so we have become more formal in our relationship with friends and thus the click is no longer there....

    ReplyDelete